Friday, February 8, 2013

1984: Do it to Julia!

1984:  "Do it to Julia!...."



This weekend's Trifextra challenge is not a writing challenge per se. It is about a piece of writing from a work of literature that has touched us, inspired us, infuriated us and/or enlightened us or, a dozen other equally valid responses and reactions.  The big trick, it seems, is to find an important, fully-realized snippet that comprises 33 words exactly.  Not so easy.   


“Do it to Julia! Do it to Julia! Not me! Julia! I don’t care what you do to her. Tear her face off, strip her to the bones. Not me! Julia! Not me!”

Excerpt From: Orwell, George. “Nineteen Eighty-Four (1984)."


Like many of you, I read this book in my early 20s.  I was certainly a much more idealistic person in those days.  1984  was the first book that I had read in my life that I had a violent, visceral reaction to.  When Winston Smith felt the breath of the rats upon his face and betrayed his heart by giving up Julia, I remember being angry, throwing the book down and, quite literally, pacing my dorm room in quite an agitated state.  I still believe that nothing is stronger or more important than Love. Hopefully, if the rat's breath ever touches my face, I won't yell out the names of my wife or children. I'd like to think I am stronger than Winston.   I really would like to think that.