Saturday, October 12, 2013

Watching Dad's Cigarette Burn

     This weekend's Trifextra challenge is to use the accompanying video as a springboard to creative brilliance.  Not sure if what I wrote is brilliant but, I like it.

     This piece is based upon the shocked reaction to the Stones that took place in many upstanding, church-going family homes at the time.  My childhood upbringing was done in an atmosphere of black and white TV and black and white opinions about the world.  I know that, if my folks had been tuning in the night this show aired, they would have reacted the way I described in my piece.





Watching Dad's Cigarette Burn

Mom gasps, quietly.
Dad stares. His cigarette burning down.
Mick, seemingly possessed, writhes on the stage.

The song ends.
Dad turns the TV off.
Silence fills the living room but, the Devil remains.